- You must have a valid A-Kon badge in order to participate.
- Entrants 13 and under must have their parents’ permission to enter.
- By entering this contest you agree to read and abide by all rules as posted and that failure to do so will result in your disqualification from the contest and/or removal from the event.
- Kon Cosplay Staff and A-Kon reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone to the Hall Cosplay event for any reason.
- All costumes must provide as much body coverage as a bikini. Body paint, latex pasties, thongs, etc. are not considered adequate body coverage on their own. Underwear and/or supportive garments must be worn underneath revealing or skin-tight costumes.
- Entrants must exhibit good sportsmanship and remain professional at all times. Rude behavior and offensive remarks or insults toward staff, judges, or other entrants may be considered grounds for disqualification.
- Cosplayers may enter both the Hall Cosplay Contest and the Main Cosplay Contest, but must not enter the same costume in both events.
- Entrants may not enter costumes entered in any previous A-Kon Cosplay contests. (Main Cosplay contest, Hall Cosplay contest, etc.)
- In order to prevent sandbagging, entrants wishing to compete with costumes that have previously won a costume competition must declare this upon registration. You may not enter a costume that has won a major award at another large convention.
- Costumes entered must be presented with reference images and recreate characters from anime, manga, animation, etc. Original characters will not be permitted; however, art book variations and reinterpretations of existing characters (including gijinka) will be allowed with an accompanying reference.
- Entries will be taken in Cosplay HQ (TBA) on Friday from 2-6pm. No entries will be accepted before this time.
- Each entry (groups count as a single entry, regardless of size) will be allowed 3 minutes to talk to the judges and show off their work. Entries that go over this time may be disqualified.
- All entries must be at least 50% made or significantly modified from original garments in order to receive awards. Borderline costumes will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- At least 2 reference images must be submitted with each entry at the time of craftsmanship judging, either printed or easily accessible on a phone, tablet, or computer.
Divisions will be split simialr to the main cosplay competition.
In all cases, if the Cosplay Head or a judge feels that you should be placed in a higher division based off the craftsmanship and presentation of your costume, your entry may be changed to that higher division.
- This division is intended for costumers with little to no prior experience in making costumes, and no formal training in costume or fashion.
- Novice Division entrants must not have won more than one award of any level at previous conventions.
- This division is intended for people with some to moderate experience making costumes, some formal training in costume or fashion, or who have competed previously and won more than one award.
- Intermediate division entrants must not have won more than five minor or three major awards at previous conventions.
- The Masters division is intended for people with advanced formal training in costuming or fashion, extensive experience in making costumes, or who have won several awards for costumes.
- Anyone may choose to enter this division.
- Professional costumers must enter in this division.
Winners of the Hall Cosplay Contest will be announced following the end of the judging session. We will be making all best efforts to contact the winners of the hall cosplay contest before the main cosplay competition, so that they may come up on stage to receive their awards during the halftime show.
- Best in Hall
- First Place in Division
- Runner Up in Division
- Creativity Award: This award is given to an entry with a particularly creative or innovative use of materials used to create their costume and/or prop.
- Best Prop/Armor – best execution of propmaking techniques
- Best Wig – best execution of wig-styling techniques
- Best Sewing – best execution of sewing techniques
- Judges’ Awards: Each judge may grant an award to an entry that they feel is exceptional.