It's a pandemic. What do we do!?
This page was last updated on: May 18th, 2022
We miss our community and are excited to be able to open our doors again in 2022. We understand that COVID has profoundly changed many lives over the past two years in some way or another, so we feel it is more important than ever to do our best to create that fun, community centric A-Kon experience that we all remember. We also acknowledge that many of our fans have widely differing opinions about how far to take COVID safety protocols. By complying with the following COVID policy, we’re able to make A-Kon safer and more accessible to a larger portion of our community.
The COVID-19 situation, and how experts say we should handle it, is constantly evolving and changing. As such, this policy reflects the current recommendations we are receiving from qualified health officials and reputable sources of information balanced by state and local restrictions.
All A-Kon attendees and participants are expected to comply with this COVID-19 policy. Repeated warnings to comply with this policy will result in your removal from the event and the surrounding areas.
- Per CDC guidelines, acceptable masks must be worn at all times for anyone over the age of 2 years old.
- When eating or drinking in designated areas.
- Briefly during A-Kon Photo Meetups or when using A-Kon Photobooths, Voice Acting Booths, or when using an A-Kon microphone at scheduled events.
- When presenting or performing at a scheduled A-Kon event while socially distanced.
- When required to communicate with someone who is deaf or hard of hearing.
- When requested to remove your mask by a uniformed law enforcement officer.
- In approved medical assessment areas when requested by qualified medical personnel.
- Masks must fall within the following guidelines:
- Wear your mask properly. We all know by now the unacceptable ways to wear a mask. Keep your mask well-fitted over your nose and mouth. If, for some reason after 3 years in a pandemic, you aren’t sure how to properly wear a mask, you can check out THIS handy guide. Please do not put our volunteer staff in the awkward position of fighting with you about it.
- Acceptable Masks: Surgical or procedural masks, N95 or KN-95 masks without vents, cloth masks worn properly.
- Unacceptable Masks: Bandanas, neck gaiters, masks with vents, small children, lawn furniture, bits of string, dakimakura pillow cases, your hands or your friend's hands, anything that does not adequately prevent you from sneezing straight into someone’s face, anything that is not EXPLICITLY a mask on the “acceptable masks” list provided above.
- Vaccination cards will not be required.
- If you contract COVID before A-Kon: If you happen to get COVID within the 30 days prior to the event, please provide us with your positive COVID test result, and we’ll happily refund your registration or transfer your registration to next year. We want you here – but only when you don't have COVID!
Volunteers, Performers, and Talent are subject to additional COVID restrictions and policies below:
- You must provide proof of vaccination OR a negative COVID test before you’ll be allowed to pick up your badge and enter any A-Kon-controlled space. Once you are declared COVID free your credentials will be activated and you will be allowed access.
- If you contract COVID within the 30 days prior to the event you are required to let us know. You will not be able to participate this year unless you can provide a negative COVID test dated within 48 hours of the start date of the event.
We will continue to evaluate the COVID landscape and adjust this policy should we receive new information based on a change in the current status of public health. We recommend that everyone continue to check this page weekly for any updates or changes.